Problem with Operators not reflecting datatype

Mar 10, 2011 at 9:28 PM

When a column is defined as a numeric data type, the pull-down does not work properly.  The text just shows up as "Less Than", and clicking on the header results in an empty pull-down.

I have also encountered an issue with the list of operands available in the filtering mechanism, which is probably related.  The list of operands don't seem to reflect the datatype of the data in that column.  For example, a string datatype lists numeric operators as well as textual operators.

Implementing this control was very easy, so I'm wondering if I missed something in the process.

Thanks...

Coordinator
Mar 11, 2011 at 7:08 AM

Hi.

Thanks for feedback.

Not sure that i understand you right, can you please share screenshot with issue you have?

Thanks.

Mar 11, 2011 at 5:24 PM
I'll try, but there is a specific note in your email that images and attachments will be deleted.

I'm attaching it to this email, but let me know if you don't get the attachment.

Jeffrey

To: [email removed]
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 00:08:36 -0800
Subject: Re: Problem with Operators not reflecting datatype [riadatafilter:249243]

Hi.
Thanks for feedback.
Not sure that i understand you right, can you please share screenshot with issue you have?
Thanks.
Read the full discussion online.
To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (riadatafilter@discussions.codeplex.com)
To start a new discussion for this project, email riadatafilter@discussions.codeplex.com
You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.
Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com
Coordinator
Mar 11, 2011 at 5:53 PM

Hi.

You did it wrong, mail that you use is just for notification.

Use image hosting, post your images there, and share your links here.

Regards, Thanks.

Mar 11, 2011 at 6:18 PM
Apologies. CodePlex noob here...

http://img705.imageshack.us/i/screenshot2.gif/

Also, some suggestions (based on personal preference, anyway...)

--I’d prefer the option of only have strict text comparison operators (Equals, Not Equals, Starts With, Ends With, Contains, Is Contained In) for text fields.

--I’d like to have a discreet-value list as a filtering option, where you point its source to a correlated RIA data source for possible values, and the user simply selects what values they want to appear (similar to Excel filtering).

--The IsContainedIn operator doesn't act the way I thought it might. What is its normal method of operation? My first guess was that it would filter based on a CSV string, which was very appealing to me.

Jeffrey

Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 10:53:06 -0800
Subject: Re: Problem with Operators not reflecting datatype [riadatafilter:249243]

Hi.

You did it wrong, mail that you use is just for notification.

Use image hosting, post your images there, and share your links here.

Regards, Thanks.
To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (riadatafilter@discussions.codeplex.com)
To start a new discussion for this project, email riadatafilter@discussions.codeplex.com
You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.
Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com
Coordinator
Mar 11, 2011 at 7:18 PM

Ok, i see that.

Can you share your EntityMetadata that you use with Control?

Thanks.

Coordinator
Mar 11, 2011 at 7:26 PM

"--The IsContainedIn operator doesn't act the way I thought it might. What is its normal method of operation? My first guess was that it would filter based on a CSV string, which was very appealing to me."

you have got functionality of RIA Services, my control is NOT replace functional of RIA Services, it is just good Interface under RIA Services.

"--I’d like to have a discreet-value list as a filtering option, where you point its source to a correlated RIA data source for possible values, and the user simply selects what values they want to appear (similar to Excel filtering)."

if you want to customize control that you like, you are welcome it is OpenSource, i have nothing for this control at $, it is "just for fun".

Mar 11, 2011 at 7:36 PM
'Entity Metadata'...not sure what you mean...the XML of the form that implements the filter? I may know it by a different name.

Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 12:19:06 -0800

Ok, i see that.
Can you share your EntityMetadata that you use with Control?
Thanks.
Coordinator
Mar 11, 2011 at 7:46 PM

I mean RIA Services Metadata file, only your Entity that you use.

Mar 11, 2011 at 8:28 PM
Actually, I brought the issue up to a fellow programmer and friend. He found that there were two issues:

--The numeric field in question was created by RIA as an Int64 field, for which there were no operators assigned in FilterOperatorWithFieldTypes.cs (it was expecting int/Int32). Fixed by adding typeof(Int64) to the TypeList where appropriate.

--There was no support for nullables in my app. Fixed by changing the Nullable property of the numeric columns to False (which is correct for this table).

Regarding my suggested improvements in the earlier email...sometimes when we only talk about the things that are bad (or need fixing/changing), it can sound like we haven't found anything that is good. This is definitely some good work you have done, otherwise I wouldn't have been so interested in it. :)

Thanks again...

Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 12:46:46 -0800

I mean RIA Services Metadata file, only your Entity that you use.
Coordinator
Mar 11, 2011 at 11:07 PM

thanks for the reply.

began to think that the problem is really in my control :)

actually it is bug, but not bug, because you use another data types :)